Here is a very simple way to cook a beef roast in the slow cooker. It’s the way I usually cook it as I find the slow cooker to be the easiest way of cooking. I have never burnt a roast in the slow cooker. It also spreads out the time I spend in the kitchen preparing dinner.
You can sub the tomatoes if you wish. I have made this successfully with salsa in place of tomatoes when I didn’t have any in the house.
Simple very tasty beef roast complete with gravy.
- Beef Roast
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 1/2 Tomato, diced
- 2 cups Boiling water
- 2 Tablespoons Beef Broth, Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
- Glass of Water
- Place roast in slow cooker.
- Top with Onions and Tomatoes
- Mix the Beef Broth into the boiling water
- Gently pour the beef broth over the roast, trying not to knock off too much of the onion/tomatoes
- Pour the remainder of beef broth into slow cooker around roast
- Cook on Low for 8 hours, High for 5 hours or until internal temperature of 180deg is reached
To Make Gravy
- Strain all liquid from slow cooker into pot for stove, you can add water from cooked veg or tap if you want more gravy
- Bring to a boil
- Put the 2 spoons of corn starch into a cup/mug
- Add enough water to mug to cover and dissolve corn starch
- Once drippings are boiling slowly add the corn starch mixture, stir the drippings while adding! If you don't keep it moving you will end up with lumpy gravy
- Continue to boil while stirring constantly. If not as thick as you would like make and add more of corn starch mixture. If not as dark as you like you can add more beef broth as well