We get a lot of roasts when we buy our meat (we buy it a whole side at a time). Since it is really just Trevor and I who eat roast beef we always end up with too many leftovers. It’s nice to mix it up so yesterday I decided to try something different with one of our roasts. I made the same shredded beef on a bun that I made for William’s Birthday. It’s very simple, and very delicious.
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef
- Beef Roast
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- 1/3 cup Chopped Onion
- 1 bottle Favorite BBQ sauce
- Toppings (tomato, onion, relish, mayo, mustard)
- Place roast into slow cooker
- Top with chopped onions
- Pour beef broth over gently (try not to wash all the onions off)
- Cook on low for 7-10 hours, until it is basically falling apart
- Rip roast apart with 2 forks until completely shredded
You can then place in fridge for the next day or continue with instructions for same day
- Place shredded beef back into slow cooker
- Cover beef with BBQ sauce (I use the complete bottle), give it a good stir to cover completely
- Cook on High for 2 hours (might only need 1 hour or less if it's done on same day)
- Place on bun with your choice of toppings
Here is a very simple way to cook a beef roast in the slow cooker. It’s the way I usually cook it as I find the slow cooker to be the easiest way of cooking. I have never burnt a roast in the slow cooker. It also spreads out the time I spend in the kitchen preparing dinner.
You can sub the tomatoes if you wish. I have made this successfully with salsa in place of tomatoes when I didn’t have any in the house.